On Saturday, September 21 and Sunday, September 22nd, St Josef’s Winery will be celebrating its 31st Annual Grapestomping Festival. Planted in 1978 with the first legal vintage in 1983- St Josef’s is one of the first 25 wineries in Oregon. The Grapestomping began as the proprietors, Josef & Lilli who emigrated from Germany, wanted to pass on a little bit of the harvest spirit to the Pacific Northwest. Since running a vineyard and winery is a lot of hours and hard work, they believe it is important to start the busy “crush” season off with a lighthearted approach. St Josef’s first began having fun with the Grapestomping by hosting locals and neighbors with a small party and dancing in small tubs. It has grown to involve stomping in a 1200 gallon Oak barrel that holds the equivalent 3,000 bottles of wine, lively music and food in a casual, relaxed European atmosphere.
In addition to great wines by the glass and our best case specials of the year on bottles of wine to go- we will have Grapestomping contests throughout the day!
And the ‘Original Donaumusikanten’ a great German Band from Ulm, Bavaria will be performing from 1pm to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. Don’t worry about diligent training for the stomping – St Josef’s will pick a partner for you; if you’re fortunate enough to get selected. Over 400 lbs of special St Josef’s recipe sausages & homemade sauerkraut, along with other locally made foods will be available.
Proudly family owned & operated- St Josef’s grows & makes food-friendly wines that can enhance any day without breaking the bank; as well as a line of reserve wines to enjoy on special occasions (like Tuesdays).
The vineyards have recently been awarded a ‘salmon safe’ designation and are tended without the use of irrigation, harsh chemicals or pesticides. The event will feature all of the current releases; selections of reserve wines and sparkling wines – including the latest releases of Lilli Sparkling Chardonnay & Lilli Sparkling Syrah. Tours with the winemaker will occur throughout the day.
- The 31st Annual St Josef’s Grapestomping Festival Hours are noon-6pm on both Saturday Sept 21 and Sunday 22nd 2013.
- New this year- we have been requested to serve wines by the glass only. Don’t worry we will still have great deals on bottles of wines to go!
- St Josef’s is located at 28836 S Barlow Road, Canby, Oregon.
(503) 651-3190 www.stjosefswinery.com
- Admission is $10 for those over 21, and includes souvenir wine glass, wine tasting and additional wine discounts. (Children under 18 are free if supervised, $500 otherwise).
For more information contact – firstname.lastname@example.org